Syndromic Surveillance Overview
In South Carolina, Syndromic Surveillance Reporting is used to monitor chief complaint data to help identify events of public health concern.
The Meaningful Use program offers a Syndromic Surveillance Reporting measure under the Public Health Reporting objective. The information must be sent in standardized formats that have been developed for sending health-related information between health care information systems. Data submission and analysis is coordinated at the state health department (DHEC).
Syndromic Surveillance Reporting Criteria and Standards
DHEC currently accepts Syndromic Surveillance messages from the following provider types:
- Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (emergency department data, inpatient admissions data)
- Eligible Providers in urgent care settings*
*In general, urgent care settings refer to facilities outside of primary care offices and emergency rooms that provide immediate medical service in an outpatient setting, require no patient appointment, and have extended operating hours that cover evenings and weekends.
DHEC currently accepts Syndromic Surveillance messages for the following Meaningful Use stages:
- Modified Stage 2 (2015 - 2017)
- Beginning June 01, 2017, DHEC will begin accepting Syndromic Surveillance messages for Stage 3 from Eligible Hospitals, Critical Access Hospitals and Eligible Providers in urgent care settings. Stage 3 will be optional in 2017. Modified Stage 2 will be accepted through 2017. This declaration of readiness was made public on 02/06/2017.
DHEC currently accepts electronic Syndromic Surveillance messages in the following standard format:
- HL7 v2.5.1 messages formatted in accordance with the PHIN Messaging Guide for Syndromic Surveillance v2.0
The following documents provide guidance for health care organizations seeking to send Syndromic Surveillance messages to DHEC.
- Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals - SC Syndromic Surveillance Registration for Meaningful Use (xls) - REQUIRED
- Eligible Providers in Urgent Care Settings - SC Syndromic Surveillance Registration for Meaningful Use (xls) - REQUIRED
- SC Syndromic Surveillance Implementation Guide v3.0 (pdf) - Applicable to MU Stage 1 through Stage 3
- CDC PHIN Messaging Guide for Syndromic Surveillance: Emergency Department, Urgent Care, Inpatient and Ambulatory Care Settings, Release 2.0 (pdf)
For additional information or questions regarding the Syndromic Surveillance reporting measure at DHEC, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
This page last updated June 30, 2017