Need help? If you have difficulty understanding English or have a disability, please contact your local WIC clinic.
eWIC processing will be coming to your store by the year 2020! eWIC is an electronic system that replaces paper checks with a card for food benefit issuance and redemption at authorized WIC stores. The benefits of eWIC for your store include:
- It is easier to use and more secure than paper checks
- Only one card is needed per WIC family
- The store checkout process is faster
- Vendor staff training is reduced as WIC approved foods are identified by UPC/PLU codes.
- It provides faster payment to the vendor
All authorized vendors must maintain a certified system to accept and process the eWIC card. The system can either be an integrated system that performs online eWIC transactions or a stand-beside device leased from our bank contractor.
Integrated Cash Register System:
- It involves one card reader at the cash register that can process credit/debit cards, SNAP and eWIC. All large chain stores already have integrated systems.
- All integrated point of sale (POS) systems must be certified to accept eWIC transactions.
- WIC foods do not need to be separated from non-WIC foods when stores have integrated cash registers because the cash register "knows" which items can be paid for with the eWIC card vs SNAP, etc.
- The cashier rings up the foods and the cash register deducts only the WIC- allowed foods from their household benefits. Then, if non-WIC foods are also being purchased, those foods can be paid for by another form of payment (e.g. SNAP, debit, credit, or cash).
- A stand-beside device is a card reader specific to the WIC card. Most stand-beside terminals also accept SNAP EBT cards, but they will not accept credit or debit cards.
- WIC foods must be separated from non-WIC foods.
- The participant must notify the cashier they are using a WIC card, swipe their card and enter their PIN before foods are scanned.
- Retailers will need to reconcile the eWIC transactions to their electronic cash register (ECR) system.
How does eWIC help WIC vendors?
Stores can expect:
- an easier, quicker and more secure checkout
- faster payment
- fewer checkout errors
- reduced vendor staff training
Where can I find the WIC approved products list (APL)?
How do I apply for authorization as a WIC store?
Got questions? Check out our FAQ's here.
All WIC- approved stores are identified by the decal below.