Where's my septic tank?
If the previous homeowner did not provide this important information or you have misplaced your copy, you have
- If your home was built in the past five years or less, the local
DHEC office may have a copy of your permit on file.
Any person or organization — whether they own the property or not — can request a copy of a septic tank permit
local office. If you have as much of the following information
as possible ready at the time of your request, the search
process will be much faster:
- Tax map number
- Lot number
- Block number
- Physical address
- Date system was installed or home was built (if known)
- Name of original permit holder (if known)
- Subdivision name (if located in a subdivision)
- You may also request a copy of the permit via our Freedom of Information office, but this is not necessary. To
request a copy via the FOI office, please fill out and submit a copy of the DHEC
FOI form. Instructions are included on the form. If possible, add the details about the property which
are listed above.
- If your home was built before 1990, look around your yard for manhole covers or lids hidden by grass or