South Carolina state law requires that both a federal and state criminal background check be performed on anyone applying for certification or recertification as an EMT (at all levels).
DHEC has authorized a company called Integrated Biometric Technologies (IBT) to act as the state's agent and conduct the background checks and fingerprinting.
To arrange to have a criminal background check run and your fingerprints taken by IBT:
Step 1: Go to the IBT Criminal Background Check application (doc) .
Complete the form, print it out and put it in a safe place. You'll need to bring this form with you to your in-person appointment and fingerprinting session at IBT.
Step 2: Schedule your appointment online at the IBT website.
- Select English or Spanish.
- Scroll down to EMT Certification/Recertification and click "Go".
- Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the application and make an appointment.
- Print your confirmation and put it with your printed application.
(If you are unable to your appointment online, please call the phone number listed on the IBT application form.)
Step 3: Bring these items to your appointment at IBT:
- A valid South Carolina driver's license or South Carolina identification card
- If you have an out of state driver's license, you must bring two secondary forms of identification such as: Social Security Card, passport, birth certificate, marriage license, U.S. military ID card
- The completed IBT application form
- The appointment confirmation page (if you scheduled online).
- The fee
Step 4: At your appointment, you will complete the fingerprint process, pay the fee, and receive a receipt. Keep the receipt. You can use it to verify compliance when applying for certification or recertification with DHEC.
Step 5: DHEC should receive the results of the background check within 48 hours from SLED and the FBI. If there is a problem with the results, we will notify you. If you do not receive such notification within two weeks of submitting your fingerprints, you may assume that there were no results contained in the background check that would negatively impact your ability to be certified (or recertified) as an EMT by DHEC.
For Out-Of-State Candidates